I often claim to have a Quilting "Hobby" in attempts to hide my obsession with fabric and color.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rita's Quilt

So, be patient as I get this site up and running. I thought I would start by showing a quilt that was so outside my comfort level that it ended up being a real gem! I first saw the pattern in the Summer 06 edition of Quilts and More. It is called "Calypso". They showed it with a more traditional fabric scheme. I thought that it would be a good opportunity for me to try out some of those loud and crazy prints that you see in the fabric store. You know, the one's you can't make into clothing, or put anywhere in your house because they don't match anything?

So here it is. A crazy floral print and then 6 tonals that pull the colors from the floral. It was so bright and cheery. I thought it would make a great cuddle quilt so I used a beige flannel for backing, and a simple hand quilted design to keep the eyes focus on the prints.
My mother-in-law saw it as I was quilting it and commented on how much she liked the colors....hence the new name "Rita's Quilt".

2 comments:

Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think, ideas, suggestions, or just say hi! I love knowing you were here!