I often claim to have a Quilting "Hobby" in attempts to hide my obsession with fabric and color.

Saturday, March 23, 2019

A new binding.

This is the quilt I just finished. A beautiful pattern called "Half and Half" by Missouri Quilt Company. I used a collection by Nancy Rink. Prints, not Batiks (I know, right?). Backed it in a super soft, brick red flannel, and used a blush colored hand dyed batik (there it is) as the binding. Hung it up in my space (Bookcase) and took pictures. Then I left it hanging.

Why?

Well, to admire my work before it (hopefully) sells. To motivate me to finish another. And to scrutinize my work. And I did. And the more I looked at it, the more unhappy I became with it. Now, I know we are often our own worst critics. But we are also the most honest. And the more I looked, the more I realized what was bothering me. The Binding.

Usually I work with a 2.25 inch strip. It gives me a tight, rolled edge. I sew it on, and then also use my machine to sew it down. I KNOW there is a huge debate out there over front to back, back to front, hand sewn or machine sewn. I choose to double machine sew it because 1. I am not entering in a quilt contest, and 2. My objective it to make it as durable as possible. aka. Washable, dryable, kid friendly. (But that's another post all together.)

I realized what was bothering me were wavy, flat spots in my binding. Places where I could feel all the layers of the binding, but NO quilt. Not. Ok. Then it dawned on me, I had used a different ruler to cut my strips, had gone on auto pilot and used the marked points to cut. Those are 2.5 inch marks.

Lots of thread
So, the real work began. The quilt came down, and the seam ripper, trash basket, and clip light came out. 3 nights of watching (listening) to TV as I slowly ripped out a full size quilts machine sewn binding.


As I did this, I realized I had also sewn way too close to the edge. So, at least that was one less line of thread to rip. I could just sew in from the original spot, using up some of this extra fabric, instead of completely removing it and cutting off a 1/4 inch of fabric.

So, then it was back to the machine. And since another issue was the original thread was red, I used it as a chance to change up my color and use a better matched blush thread. Kept the red on the back.

Now, the quilt is finished, with a nice rolled binding, in a size I can admire and be proud of. I have come to recognize my own evolution as a crafter. 10 years ago, I would have been frustrated, and thought "oh, well. Live and learn. I will do better on the next one." But not now. Now, I realize it's not about the time it takes to make a project and finish it, but the quality of the work, and the pride of knowing it's done correctly, and well. I stand behind my statement, that I stand behind my work. I make quilts to be used, seen, loved, and worn out. But over years, not months.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think, ideas, suggestions, or just say hi! I love knowing you were here!