I often claim to have a Quilting "Hobby" in attempts to hide my obsession with fabric and color.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Crochet and Quilts

As I wrote in my last post, I have been working on multiple projects. Typical me.  And after that last post, I decided to make a detour and add a project.

All the rage right now is with embellishing crafts with crochet trim. I have been an avid crocheter for about a year now, having made 5 bed size blankets, and gobbling up all the books I can find. I love my Addi hooks, and thought it was time to challenge myself to the lace/trim aspect of the craft.  Pulling out of my donated stash some floral fabric, I decided to try my hand at the pillowcase with crochet trim. I decided on a standard queen size pillowcase (22x34) and then embellished it. It was so much fun, and so easy (a single night project) that I am thinking of making more....can someone say Christmas gifts????






 On another note, I have discovered that I LOVE working with small pieces of fabric to make lap size quilts. I mean, who doesn't like to reach up and pull a cuddly quilt down for a nap on the couch? This one was made with leftovers from 4+ previous projects. I started with 2 inch squares and, using Bonnie Hunter's Leaders and Enders method, had enough color/cream combos to run away with this impromptu 4 square quilt. To make it just a bit larger, I added a border of all colored squares.  The final project is made up of 1156 squares!

What a blast!



5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to learn how to do that beautiful crochet trim on a pillow. Yours is exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Frank. It was a nice way to use those horded scraps.
    And Sara, thank you for the compliment. But honestly, if you can crochet, you can do it. This is the first time I ever tried it. I used sz 10 crochet thread and a size 0 steel hook. Try it, I promise it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you did the border on the checkerboard quilt! I have a hard time saving scraps but I will make an effort so I can make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crocheting really makes the pillowcases! Nice work. And I love the beautiful simplicity of the patchwork. It inspires me to keep going on my leaders-and-enders-squares project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think, ideas, suggestions, or just say hi! I love knowing you were here!