I often claim to have a Quilting "Hobby" in attempts to hide my obsession with fabric and color.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Rhianna's Graduation Quilt

Well, it's done. And it's GORGEOUS if I do say so myself. Rhianna is Tammy's beautiful daughter, and I have known her since she was a wee little one. This past May, this beautiful amazing young woman graduated high school. I thought, "well, I made mom a wedding quilt, so I should make Rhi a graduation quilt". And true to form, it was my pattern choice.



Now in the spirit of tormenting the sweet girl, I sent her a graduation card with snips of all the fabrics I planned to use in this quilt (thanks to her aunt Necy for the color tips). But no word of size, pattern, order, anything. Mid way through, my old machine dies, I decided to pull out the ELNA work horse, go to the VQF and decided for the big 4 0 it's time to buy my own big girl machine. (previous posts).



Now pieced, I started hand quilting it with a gorgeous hand dyed thread that was too fine to use single ply, so....doubled up I went along. Stars done in a 1/4 shadow, sashing the same, and a gorgeous grape leaf pattern on the outer border.

The Pattern was taken from the McCalls Scrappy Quilts collection and it's called 'Royal Order'. They suggested using a gold set of fabrics which a replaced with Blue.

 Lilly gave it her seal of approval.


I used a mixture of Batik and classic tone-on-tone prints for the rail blocks. And now it's proudly living in Kentucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think, ideas, suggestions, or just say hi! I love knowing you were here!